Sunday, August 30, 2009

I don't know how people do it.

I don't know how people do it. I just finished reading a blog about a family whose 7 month old baby boy has cancer. They found out in June, and have been going through Chemo and living at primary children's and then this last week was given the news that the cancer had spread and that their baby only had weeks left to live. As I read the post, the tears would not stop. My heart broke for them. For their family. For their other kids. For their little baby that has already had to go through sooooo much. I wanted to call them, to find them, to hug the mom and cry with her and tell her how sorry I am, I still can't stop crying.
I don't understand why people have to go through things like this. I don't understand why such little innocent babies have to go through so much pain. I don't understand why we have to lose those we love. I don't understand why some people have to carry such heavy burdens. I DO know though, that our Father in Heaven loves us, and that we can be comforted. I know that we are here to help each other get through these hard times. I do know that that little family will be reunited once again. What a joyous reunion that will be. Families can be together forever. I KNOW that. I am so grateful to have been married in the temple and that I am sealed to my husband and to my 3 kids.
Their blog made me think of my kids and my family. I thought of what a slacker mom I am most the time. I thought of how much I take for granted. How precious our sweet little children are. I went upstairs kissed my 3 babies goodnight and rocked Sophie and wept again. To the Nelson family. You are in my prayers. You are in my thoughts. my heart is broken for you. I can't imagine what you are going through right now or in the days to come. You are an inspiration to me. To be a better mom. To give my kids the best life I can possibly give them and to make sure that they too gain a testimony of this Gospel. My heart goes out to you.

5 comments:

rozanny said...

You say that you don't know... but then you bare such a beautiful testimony. Just the fact that you have such a strong testimony shows that you know why some people struggle with some things that you don't. Thank you for baring your testimony.

rozanny said...

I just reread what I wrote... I want to clarify that it's not because of a testimony that people go through or don't go through things... I'm saying that it's because of the Plan of Salvation that people go through things. And the testimony that you have in Heavenly Father and His plan shows that you know that, even if it's hard to watch things happen to anyone... especially those that we love. I think it's wonderful that you can love others and cry with them when they need to.

James, Kira, Rylee, Jett and Maddyson said...

I reacted just the same way when I read Stephenie Clark's (a year older than us in high school) blog the other day. You and Ben are probably aware of what happened to her, but I hadn't heard until the other day. If you're not aware, she was in a plane crash with her husband almost a year ago and mos of her body was burned. You should check out her blog if you haven't already. It totally changed my outlook on life and made me feel much more blessed to be a mom and have a great life. Her blog is nieniedialogues.blogspot.com

K said...

Dear little girl: life is a strange thing. It has rules, and it has chance in it - and sometimes the dice come up badly. HF cannot change that - maybe by prayer we can invite him to change it - but too often we don't know until things are too late, even to pray. If what we believe is true - as you do, and I do - what counts is how we deal with things - does our heart grow or shrink? These things can be the making or breaking of us. And you are suffering along with them, which makes a difference somehow.

You have to take some things for grated Em. In High School, we had to read Our Town, which makes this very point. At first, when I read it, I resolved to be "aware - every, every minute" but found that you cannot live life and be that aware - because the life you life in that state isn't natural and real. It can't do its job.

Love. That's what you have to do. Love, be grateful, and move through your days like they are a gift - realize that you cannot hold everything in your hand at once - but be grateful for what sits in your palm whenever you open your hand.

Linsey said...

I know how you feel. Working in the NICU, I see things like this all too often and every time they do, I go home and baul while I kiss all my kids and rock them. It's very difficult on families and I've seen them torn apart by tragedies like this, but I've also seen them come closer together. It's never easy and I try not to let myself get down by it all, or wonder why it always happens to the good people that try their best and the people that do awful things to their pregnancies or children come out unscathed. I hope that they are able to get through this together.