Sunday, September 13, 2009

First Day of Kindergarten

I can't even believe that my little boy James is already in Kindergarten!!! He started school on the 27th of August and he loves it. He was so cute about it. We set out his clothes the night before, he picked out what he was going to wear. I got up early and made a big breakfast for him. Sausage, Eggs and Pancakes, his favorite! Well I guess I should say that HE got me up early. He got up around 7 am all dressed and ready to go with his backpack and everything. His bus doesn't come until 8:50, so we had plenty of time to kill. So we enjoyed a good big breakfast and reading time before he had to go.

It was so cute, just as I was taking the pictures of James, Harrison came along and wanted to go with James so badly. When I explained that only James was going and that Harrison could go when he was bigger he said "I AM bigger!" I said, "I know, but when you are 5 you can go" Harrison's response. "I AM 5! I am bigger, I am 5!". He was really sad to see James go. So sweet.

So then I took him to the bus stop and I was holding it together really well. James was really quiet so I knew he was nervous. Then the bus came, I gave James a big old kiss and hug and told him to have fun. He was the last one on the bus and it pulled away before he even sat down and I thought "wait! Let him sit down" And that's when I lost it. The tears came rolling down and I turned toward my house and walked home as quickly as I could. As soon as I got to my house I bawled and bawled. I couldn't stop. I couldn't stop thinking about my little baby James, and how he was all grown up, riding the bus and going to school. I thought of the day we drove him home from the hospital when he was born, and I couldn't believe that he was already 5 yrs old. I worried and cried that whole day. I worried that he wouldn't find his class or get on the right bus or get off on the wrong stop. I missed my little buddy that whole day. (I still do while he is at school). Anyways, then it was 12:00, time to go pick him up. I was so anxious and he came off the bus happy as could be. He had had a great day and loved it. Everyday is like that. He gets off the bus, runs straight to be and gives me a giant bear hug and tells me about his day.

I THINK he is doing well in school, he enjoys it and I haven't gotten any calls from his teacher so that's a good sign right? I have been reading with him every day and I LOVE how much improvement I am seeing. He recognizes several words now and is trying to sound things out and I really so love sitting there and reading with him and teaching him. We have a lot of fun. He checked out a star wars book from the library last week and we read it and read it and read it, and probably will read it another 10 times before he has to return it thursday. Anyways, so yes he likes school. We survived that first day, and yes I am truly a stay at home mom now because I have to be home to get him to and from the bus stop everyday, yes I am one of those moms that HAS to take her kid every time, everyday. So here are the pictures of James. Oh, he did his own hair. So cute.

It was really bright out, so we went inside to take a couple more, I have some really cute ones with Harrison, but he is in his underwear and I didn't really want to post that. ;)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So cute! I think I can wait a while before I send Porter off to school. They grow up way too fast!!

John said...

I think he will do very well. I suspect if he is a beginner reader now, he will be at the top of his kindergarten class.

I always took my kids to the bus stop until this year. It is too hard to lug all the other kids back and forth and the older kids can manage without me better than the little ones can. But next year when Adam is in kindergarten I will be there everyday too.

Becca said...

wow. I can't imagine Grace being 5 years old. That is a weird thing to have your kid go to school. Time really does fly doesn't it? You're a good mom.

Also, I looked at this post briefly the other day and just looked at the pics without reading it - I thought "was emily trying to do his hair in a faux hawk (sp?) or something? haha. makes sense now.

James, Kira, Rylee, Jett and Maddyson said...

That day comes so fast huh? I atleast got to hold it off one extra year since I homeschooled Rylee last year.
Jett had the same reaction as Harrison. It took him about 2 weeks of Rylee going to school every day before he wasn't throwing giant crying fits where he would yell "I am big enough."