Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Yeah Right, Like We Would Move to Florida....

That's what I said when Ben called to tell me a company in Orlando, Fl had contacted him & was interested in interviewing him. It was MGM Studios in Disney World that originally called. I'm not going to lie, it sounded a little bit excited and it definitely had my interest. But, it was in FL. We weren't going to pack up and move across the country just for a different job. Ben had a good job already. But here I am. Sitting at my computer. The last thing left to pack. Every little thing in my house is boxed up, labeled & taped shut. Pictures have been taken down from every wall. Paint patched. Suitcases packed. Goodbyes said.

I guess it all started & ended with the new house. We had found our dream home last fall. And when I say dream home, I mean dream home. It was perfect. It was exactly what we had both wanted and had been looking for. We immediately signed the papers, paid the first deposit to secure the lot for us and put our house up for sale.

2 months went by. with not one showing. we kept dropping the price, still no shows. With the possibility of not selling our house we started to look for other ways to buy the house. We looked into other loans and got approved for both homes, but our new home was $10k off the approved price. We didn't know what to do. Whether to just lose a ton of money on our current home, get a cheaper home somewhere else that we could get approved for, or just stay where we were. We were really confused and didn't know what to do.

Fast Sunday in Feb came and we both fasted and prayed to know where we should go. What we should do. Where our family was meant to be. I honestly prayed that the answer would be so obvious we couldn't mistake it.

Two days later, our dream home fell through, the builders refused to budge on the price. 5 minutes later Ben got the call from Orlando. A job at MGM studios. That sounds like fun, go ahead and interview, but just for the free trip to Orlando. We're not moving that far away.
Oh wait, another job in Orlando? it pays more, and is permanent? (the MGM one turned out to be a short term thing) Eh, go ahead and interview there as well. It doesn't hurt, and once again you might as well get a free trip to Orlando, but we aren't really moving there.

First interview. Went really well. Ben says it seems like a good company. Second interview comes around. Very very long. Hours. By the end, they were extremely impressed with Ben. They were going to fly him out for another interview.

I think I will forever remember that night. I had secretly planned a date for Ben. We went to SLC and ate at the Roof Restaurant. I have this image forever stuck in my head. As I looked out over SLC I remember just knowing that our time in UT was done. That whatever we were supposed to gain here and learn, had been done. That it was truly time for us to move on. So I told Ben. He was thinking the exact same thing. It was at that point we both knew we were leaving UT.

Ben hadn't gotten an actual offer yet. But let me tell you this. He has been offered every job he has ever interviewed for. I knew he would get the job. And I knew we would be moving to FL sometime very soon.

This all happened within one week. It was so fast.

That weekend was very emotional for me. I hadn't really told anyone we were actually moving to FL. I knew it was right and I knew it was the answer we had been looking for. That same week our old Bishop, Bishop Edwards, passed away. The funeral was Sat, Ben was leaving Mon and I knew he would come back with a job offer. As I worked with the people/sisters in my ward to prepare for the funeral and was surrounded by so many people I love so much, I couldn't help but just cry. The tears just wouldn't stop. How could i leave? How could I leave my family, my friends, my neighborhood & everything I had known and loved so much for the past 30 yrs? We knew NO ONE in Orlando. Not one person. I couldn't do it. But I knew it was what I supposed to do. I knew that it was right for our family. But still, could I actually leave?

The next day, Sunday, there were talks given about the Lord's hand guiding their family at times and how it was hard but how it had blessed their family so much. Then in RS the lesson was on Sacrifice. Women spoke of how when you sacrifice something, at the time it seems unbearable, but if you could look back and see the big picture and the blessings that come from that sacrifice you would do it in a heartbeat. And how at times they have had to sacrifice things and really wondered if they could do it, but then did it, and in the end wondered why they ever questioned in the beginning.

I am so grateful for the strong testimonies I heard from people that day. They all gave me my answer and they all gave me strength. As I left RS I KNEW we were meant to go to FL. I KNEW that it would be okay. I KNEW that the Lord was truly guiding our family and taking care of us. The sadness went away, and I was 100% confident in our decision to move to FL.

Ben went to FL, loved it. Loved the company. Loved the area. Felt confident. He was given an offer and we took it. We needed to be moved out in 2 weeks to make it to FL in time for him to start his new job.

I am not going to go into all the details of everything we have done and gotten together in the past 10 days. But we have found another town home in a great neighborhood in East Orlando. WE are just renting for the first 6 months and then hopefully buy before the next school year. The schools the kids will be attending are great. (Only 12 kids per teacher). We have listed our home for rent and have been getting regular calls on it, I am sure it will rent before next week. We have hired our neighbors to manage the rental while we are gone. I have had sooo many nights out with friends and family to say our good byes, and have enjoyed every one of them.

And now, the house is packed. THe movers are coming to put everything on the truck and drive it all out to Orlando. The company is paying for all relocation costs, so no worries there. We are spending our last nights at Grandma's while we get the house cleaned and ready to rent out before we leave. Harrison already had his last day of school, James' is Friday.

At this point I am just excited. I am excited for this new adventure our family taking. I am excited to live in a new place and see new things and meet new people. I can't wait to attend our ward and meet the other members there. I can't wait for James and Harrison's first day of school and hear about their new school. I can't wait to get to our new home and get all moved in.

I'm not dumb, I know there will be hiccups along the way. I know it is going to be hard. I know there are bugs and I know that I hate bugs. That is why there is such thing as pest control dear friends. I know it is going to take time to make friends and make a new life out there. But I also know that this is where our family is meant to be, whether for 2 yrs, 10 yrs, or forever.

So dear UT, your winters are terrible, I hate the cold. The snow is wet and makes a terrible mess. But it is so beautiful on that first snowfall. And there is nothing like seeing the bright red leaves in the autumn, hearing the roars of an evening thunderstorm, seeing all the beautiful tulips & blossoms in the spring, and enjoying the hot summer days barefoot in the soft grass.

I'll definitely miss you. But it is time to say good bye, I'm off to spend some serious time on a warm sandy beach. Doesn't that sound nice?

9 comments:

Julie said...

Amazing story! I feel like that was us exactly, just 7 months ago. I needed the reminder of how I felt about our move. It's hard to remember when the honeymoon phase of the adventure has worn off, and I've realized this really is my new life. I wish your family the best of luck in Florida! At least you get to move somewhere warmer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

K said...

My family moved from the midwest to the west coast (knowing not a soul - and we weren't even members of the church, so we didn't have even that support to look forward to). Then back to the midwest six years later (church members by then). Then two years later to New York, and four years after that, to Texas. We lived near family for about two of those years. You'll do fine. You'll make a little family of friends and neighbors. You'll love the non-winters, and being close to Disneyworld. There are a thousand things about moving there that are going to be SO cool.

It won't be easy, but it won't be that hard, either. Gin's been living SO far away for so long - and yet, we still got to see her. And there's always Skype.

I'm glad you're excited, Em. You should be. And we'll be right here when you need us.

bethany said...

Thanks for sharing your story Emily. We're going to miss you-but hoping to join you in the South soon!!

Amy Eds said...

I will miss you so dearly I can't even express it. You are really like my twin that I have done everything with--growing up, dating, marriage, kids, running, keeping house, callings, etc. We aren't the same, but we are in so much of the same phases in life and I will surely miss having you near. I am so happy for you though and know you will love it!! Thanks for sharing who you are and for your AMAZING example to me! You are just the most amazing person ever and I love you so much!

Lindsay said...

Reading this reminds me of how we ended up in New York. Everything happened so fast and fell so perfectly into place that there could be no doubt that we were supposed to come here. And the longer we're here, the more we see the Lord's hand in it all. Florida must need you. :) Good luck with everything!

Karyn said...

You are going to love it :) I'm not you . . . but I can pretty much promise you are going to love it! The weather. Oh my goodness, don't get me started on the weather. Seriously, it makes it all worth it :P And this adventure is just going to rock. Yes, it sucks to have to travel so far to see family. And it's hard to make that transition from your family to a family of friends. But it's so SO worth it! I'm excited for you! Prayers that everything goes smoothly as possible! xoxo

P.S. My gosh, we got preached long sermons on the bugs here in Arizona (especially the scorpions). Um, I've not seen ONE scorpion since living here. And I've never seen a spider bigger than my pinky nail. Waaaay more bugs in Utah for sure. So take every you hear with a grain of salt, and just enjoy the journey :)

The Gardners said...

I had no idea you were moving! I am sad for me, but excited for you. This will be so much fun for your family.

Have Fun! Stay in touch!

John said...

When we were moving out here everyone was against it. But we knew we were doing what the Lord wanted us to do and it has worked out well and we have seen the hand of the Lord in it all. We are sad to see you go and we will miss you. But I understand what it means to follow the lord even if it is against the wishes of all your family. I am sure you will see the hand of the Lord in it all as this new adventure unfolds for you. Good luck, and thank you for all of the help you have given to us this past year and a half. you are a great example.

Karen said...

I can't believe it! We will miss you guys. Wow! maybe we'll come stay with you and go to Disneyworld! Congratulations. Glad things are working out for you.