Sunday, July 8, 2012

Summer Awesomeness

Just to keep you all updated on our lives here in FL.... I last posted 2 months ago.
 Since then.

 Portland OR

 Went to Portland for my little brother's (jay) wedding. I went several days early and met up with other siblings to see sight, hang out and just have a good time. The trip was amazing and I had a complete blast the entire time. The trip started out with a bit of a hicup. My flight was leaving at 5 am. Which meant I was leaving my home at 3 am. I was just leaving the house when the airline called to let me know my flight was cancelled and they would be flying me out the next day on a red eye flight with a 10 hr layover in TX. Let me tell you how unacceptable that was. So they got a phone cal from Ben. He was much nicer than I would have been but he was firm that I had arranged to be there that afternoon and that was when hey would get me there no matter what they had to do. They put me on a different airline, there were a few more hiccups even after I got to the airport but once again Ben saved the day and I got to Portland just 2 hrs later than I had originally planned. Not bad considering. I was grateful for Ben and all he did to get me on that plane. :)
Once there I had a smash! You should know I didn't have kids with me, Ben stayed home wih them so I could have a vacation myself. Sweet boy huh? Anyways, my brother James and sisters Becca & Amy all met me there & we were off to have a good time. We got Vietnamese food from an old food truck $5 and very very tasty!! Thn got a box of voodoo doughnuts for dessert. Maple bar...yum my favorite. Then we just walked around downtown Portland until it got dark and headed to our hotel. Stayed up all night goofing off and chatting. It was so great to hang out with my family.

The next day we went for a great run along the river, hiked Multnomah falls. That was simply amazing!!! Jay and his fiancé Emilyanne (yes we have the same name and there are now 3 Emily's in my family oh and we love love her) came along with us. That night my other brother Jeremy came into town and we all met for dinner. It was one of the finest dinners. We just chatted and laughed and ate more than we should, everything a vacation should be. Once again we stayed up all night laughing and chatting.
Throughout the rest of the trip we....
- Went to the coast cold, 100% gorgeous...with haystack rock and the mountains falling off into the ocean, the white trim houses on the hillsides. So beautiful
 - helped get things ready for the wedding and dinner. - attended the wedding at the LDS Portland temple. It was beautiful & I love seeing Jay so happy.
 -more fun with family, more food, less sleep.

 Before I knew it was time to go home. I was sad to say goodbye to all my family as I won't be seeing them for another year but I am grateful that I got to see them & spend time with them this year. Oh and I fell in love with my little nephew rocky. I could eat that kid up.

 Okay after Portland the kids finished up school. James passed with flying colors, excellent grades & made honor roll for the 4th time this hr. good job, I'm proud of you. Harrison on the other hand....his teacher is concerned abounds ability to be in 1st grade. He is 100% awesome in math. But the reading is just coming so slowly. Sooo we are working with him all summer to get him up to pace with everyone else and ready for 1st grade. He is doing well and I think he will be okay.

 In June....we went on a family trip to the north Georgia mountains. They aren't like Utah mountains. Highest point is 4700 ft, but they were simply gorgeous. So much green and lots of waterfalls. We rented a cabin for a week and it was heaven. It was in its own little secluded spot. A stream ran next to it, the kids went tubing and fishing the entire time. There was a great fire pit, s'mores every night :) :) there was tons of running and exploring room for the kids. We also had a grill and a hot tub. Nice. The cabin wasn't huge but big enough and had everything we needed. Full size kitchen, 2 bathrooms, 3 bedrooms. 2 screened in porches with rocking hairs, picnic table and even a Ping pong table. It was awesome.

We spent the week hiking several waterfalls, going to historic little towns eating the best fudge ever, stopping by an orchard and getting fresh ga peaches and peach ice cream. Soo tasty. We played card games drank hot chocolate, made tinfoil dinners, shish kabobs & had the greatest time ever.

My favorite things though were:
 -swinging with Harrison in the hammock hr after hr just talking about everything.
 -hiking with Sophie and listening to her sing "you are so beautiful to me!" over and over.
 -Ben discovering that he loves to fish. He fished 80% of the time we were there. :)
-playing UNO with the kids every night
-enjoying the peace and beauty of the mountains every day.

 We were all so sad to leave, none of us wanted to. Harrison decided we need to move to GA. But the time came and we drove on home.

 Since then and even before then, we have spent days at the beach, pool, swim practice (James is on the swim team and he rocks!!) basketball practice (Harrison is living his dream) he literally pranced down the court he was was so excited. His first game he made a three pointer, go Harrison! And at James first swim meet he took first in 2 events and 2nd in one. He is amazing to watch.

 This month is filled with moving!!! We are moving a little less than a mile away into a home with a backyard! Yay!!! We are actually happy where we are but our landlords are moving back so we must go. The new home is super cute though and will be good for our fam. Okay that is all for now. And it is a lot!!! :) :) :)

5 comments:

John said...

Nice to hear how you are doing. Sorry we won't be able to see you much. But I am glad you are so happy where you are. You should post pictures of your new house. It would be fun to see it.

Em said...

I know! I'll post pics once I get it all set up. It is cute. I was sad not to see you guys at jays wedding. Hopefully we will be able to make it out there next summer. Take care Diane!

K said...

It's hard to leave the fam, but once you're gone and with adults - you get this vision of what life will be when the kids are actually almost grown up and it's just FUN instead of parenting. I'd love to ride my horses in those GA mountains -

Em said...

It is FUN! We have so much fun with friends & family. Kids too. It is fun to see the kids sense of humor develop & laugh with them & just enjoy them.
You would love those mountains, I have always said Georgia is the most beautiful place & I still think so. So green & gorgeous.

Glenene said...

Richard has taken several scout trip to northern Georgia. Has loved it! His last trip he took our 3 boys and 3 sons-in-law. They had a blast! Check out this link...

http://www.richardglenenerobertson.blogspot.com/2011/06/man-camp.html