Friday, March 6, 2009

The Worst Shopping Trip

Okay, so the past couple weeks I have been pretty sick, and then this week my kids got sick too. Last night James woke up crying because his ear hurt so bad and then spent the rest of the morning laying on the couch holding his ear, crying. He was very sad. Plus he was burning up. I had given him tylenol and then later Ibuprofen, but he was still on fire. So I called the Dr and made an appointment for him. We get there, and what a shock, ear infection for both James and Harrison, and sinus infections for both. So they called in the prescription for me and I thought I would get some shopping done while we waited for the meds to be filled. I felt bad for the kids for being so darn sick, so I got them some kids meals and it was off to the store.

As soon as we get to the store Harrison starts throwing a tantrum about wanting his frosty, so I got out the spoon and it was mostly melted, so I figured I had better help him with it. No, he didn't want help. He ripped it out of my hand and threw, yes threw, the frosty at me. I was wearing a nice white shirt and was now in a brown and white shirt. He then flipped around in the cart grabbed his kids meal and threw it out of the basket. As you can imagine I was beyond not happy at this point. If you have ever seen Father of the Bride 2, I was very much reminded of the part where they are driving down the street just after they found out they are having another baby, and George Banks sees the kids throw his meal at his dad and runs off screaming....yeah that was Harrison and I today. I gathered up the spilled food, and of course he wanted it back. Yeah right kid. No I did not give it back to him, so he screamed the entire shopping trip. I checked on the meds, another 20 min at least. So, I thought I had better go get some quick easy meals, frozen pizzas and such to have for when baby comes (one week!!!).

As I was going up and down isles looking for things Harrison kept grabbing and kicking at me and screaming, and then James started crying because his ear once again was causing him pain. I actually felt bad for him, there was no sympathy for Harrison though. I can't imagine what I looked like going through that store today, with frosty all over my shirt and it is a little hard to hide with this huge-about-to-pop belly, one little kid screaming "No!!! I want IT!!!!" and the other just sobbing in the cart with big tears dropping off his chin. Yeah, I got lots of stares. I finally got what I needed and head back to the pharmacy.....oh lovely, a very long line for us to wait in. Of course.

So, another 20 min or so, and we finally get up there. It still isn't quite ready, but will be in just a min. BAH!!! However, it was only another 10 min, and they got it to us. I headed straight for the checkout, we got our stuff and it was to the car, crying kids and all. We made it home. I drugged both boys up with their new meds and tylenol and they both went straight to bed. I wasn't surprised when both of them were sound asleep within minutes and slept for 3 hours. Ah, it was nice to have a break. So then I cleaned myself up, cleaned up the very messy house, and then made rolls and homemade tomato soup. James had asked me if I would make him his favorite soup, and who can turn down their sick little boy's request huh? And when he woke up, he was very happy to see that I had made rolls and soup for him. Harrison liked it too, and I am glad to say that he was much happier when he woke up. Now they are once again both in bed, the house is clean, I am tired, and ready to relax for the evening. A week from today I am being induced, so we will finally have our little baby girl here. Then I get to take 3 kids shopping with me. HA! :)

5 comments:

Stephers said...

What a rough day! I'm sure pushing the cart with the two heavy boys in it was fun too. We have days like that too (well maybe not this bad!) and I always think "we are having ANOTHER one??" I just figure it's all part of the Plan- you know, opposition in all things. It helps us love our kids more when they are not throwing frosties at us :-) Good luck with everything coming up!

rozanny said...

Wow Em! I'm so glad those days only come once in a blue moon!

John said...

Wow.... that sounds tough. I do not think I have had an out of the house day as bad as that. I do not even know what I would do if any of my kids threw their food at me. Good job for not losing it.

Amy Eds said...

Wow, what a crazy day! I am so sorry! Yeah, shopping with 3 is not fun! As they get older it isn't so bad, but I rarely take all three kids to the store by myself.

Becca said...

I would have lost it. I'm not as nice as you are. Seriously, I don't know what I'm going to do with 2, let alone 3, kids. Good work Em. You are a good mom.