Monday, January 16, 2012

Half & Full Marathon Training Schedule for Beginners

As you know, I am obsessed with running. I love it. Mostly, I love to race. I love to race long distance. I love a Half Marathon because I can push my pace and it is still a long race. I love a full marathon because, well, it really tests you and your strength. Most people think that I have always run, that it is easy for me. That I just go out and run without any problems. Not true. No runner does that, really. We all work hard, or else we wouldn't improve. But it has never been easy for me. Let me introduce myself to you, 10 yrs ago.

*if you wish to skip my story, no worries, it is long. go ahead and skip on down to the training schedules, I'll never know. ;)

20 yrs old. 180 lbs. Completely out of shape. Couldn't run a mile, or even one lap around the track. I had asthma most my life, and blamed that on my out of shapeness. My lungs would buuuuurn when I ran and man, it hurt to run. So I didn't do it. But, I watched people that ran. And I was jealous. I loved it. I loved watching people run. I think I was obsessed with running even then, before I could do it. I remember watching someone from the track team run, and was just amazed at their speed and ability to move like that. I wanted it. I wanted it bad. But not bad enough, yet.

I knew I needed to get into shape. So I started counting calories. Like an insane person, if it went in my mouth I counted it. I walked 2-3 miles every day. I got on the stair stepper for a good 30 minutes as well. within 4 months I had lost 35 lbs. Then I got pregnant with my first baby, gained an awesome 25 lbs there and lost that within 2 weeks of his birth. I continued to get my weight down until I was at a happy 120 lbs. I still only walked, never really ran, maybe for 30 seconds or so but not really. I had another little boy a couple yrs later and felt great the entire pregnancy as I continued to walk 2-3 miles every day.

Well, this is where my running story begins. Harrison was about 1 yr old. And I had a dream. I was running. I was running fast. There was a crowd cheering and screaming at me to finish the race. I felt like I was flying and finished. I was so so happy. It was the most amazing feeling. I woke up, and knew I wanted to run, I wanted it so bad. I went to the store that day, and there on clearance was a pair of running shoes. my adidas. I still love those things. I considered it a sign and bought them.

I came home, got in some comfy clothes and went out for my first run. It wasn't amazing. I wasn't fast, I didn't feel like I was flying, and no one was cheering me on. My lungs burned and my legs hurt. I made it down the street, and walked for a bit. Then after my breathing got under control I started to run again, only for a minute or two. Then I'd walk. I did this for a while. I don't remember how long it took me to run one full mile, but I remember when I did that. I ran around the neighborhood and realized I had run one full mile without stopping. I almost cried I was so happy. I called my brother and about shouted it out to him. Soon, one mile became two. Then three. Then I got a running partner, Tiana, and together we got up to 6 miles.

This is when the long distance thing started to really roll around in my head. If I could run 3 and then 6. Surely I could eventually run 13.1 and then 26.2. So I did a crazy thing, skipped the half marathon distance and signed up for a full marathon, May of 2008. I'll never forget that first time training. I never missed a run. I always was amazed at the distances my body could go. Each time I did one more mile I knew I could do even more next time. Then the day came, the day of my Marathon. And I did it. The entire 26.2 miles. I came in at 4:30:00 about a 10 min mile. The race was almost exactly 1 yr from the time I ran my very first mile.

And now here I am, about to turn 30. 128 lbs. 3 kids. I workout 5 times a week, including running, biking & weights. I have now completed over 20 half marathons, & 5 full marathons (running #6 in 3 weeks) My current PR's (personal records) are 1:41:00 for the Half & 3:46:00 for the Full. I have placed in one half marathon in my division and have had amazing experiences throughout my training and races. I have met wonderful people, and I am always grateful for this gift I've been given to be able to run. It has blessed me in a million different ways.

Why am I telling you this? Because I truly believe anyone out there can also do this. If the overweight asthmatic girl that couldn't run around the track even one time, run a full marathon holding an 8:30 min mile, then anyone can do it. Anyone. I promise, you can do it. You put your mind to it, you can do it. I have been asked by several different people in the last few months for training tips or favorite programs or where to get started, so this is what I am doing. I am putting my favorite training programs on this blog to get you going. To get you started. To show you that you can do it. I don't care what your pace is, ever, just get the miles in. So here are some training programs. You can always email me or call if you have any questions. Also know, that I love running with people. And I do not care what your pace is, how many times we walk, how much you sweat ( I sweat more I promise), I would love to run with you. So call me, let's get running.

Couch to 5k program.

Here is the thing, everyone is different. Starting at different levels. So just to be safe we are going to start from the beginning. Here is a great beginners running program.
 Couch to 5k
That will take you to the outlined program. It is only 3 workouts a week, very doable. By the end of it, you should be able to run a full 3 miles without stopping. Which is where I want you to be when we start the Half Marathon training.

You should know though. I HIGHLY recommend cross training and weights. But if that is too much for you right now, or too overwhelming, don't worry about it. We'll get there eventually. Small steps.

Cross Training:

This means biking, swimming, yoga, whatever you want. That IS NOT running. Something that isn't pounding your joints, but still working your muscles. So, you can take the couch to 5k program. 3 workouts a week. Do those workouts Mon, Wed, Sat.  Then cross train (biking, swimming, yoga) Tues & Thurs for 30 min. If you have access to a gym, this is very easy. Hop on the elliptical, stationary bike, or go to an aerobics class of some sort. If you do not go to a gym, get a bike, a cheap one even. I have a cheap little bike and I use it to pick kids up from school, go to the grocery store, I use it just as much as my car. I also go to a spin/cycling class twice a week. So get a bike if you need to and go for 30 min bike ride. It actually will make you a much stronger runner and will help your muscles recover from your running.

Weights:

I don't have a specific group of weights I do all the time. I started slow and have worked on up. I started with some 5 lb weights and did very basic lifts. But what I do now, and is my favorite, I go to a class at the gym. It is a total body class (most gyms offer something very similar) where you use weights, but you are doing things to strengthen your entire body. I love it. So, this is my recommendation. If you have a gym, find a similar class and go to it. Or, get a video of one and do it at home. That's how I started, I went to Target, got some DVD of a total body workout, some 5 lb weights and did that twice a week. It was good for me at the time. Some very popular ones are the insanity workouts, which I have never done but people love them. I really like going to the gym though and doing it with a lot of people because it pushes you more. You can't quit when 30 other people are watching you. ;) And don't be intimidated, everyone had to start somewhere sometime, we have all been beginners. And still are at many things. I also do A LOT of pushups. I started with 3 sets of 5 and now do about 6 sets of 15-20. Do what works for you.

Half & Full Marathon Training:

Ah, the whole reason for this eternal blog. First off, go pick a half or full marathon you want to complete(one that if far enough away that you will have time to train).  Register. Then plan out your training accordingly. Okay here are a few training programs. I like them all for different reasons. Look through them, see which one looks the most doable for you and then print it out. Put the dates on each run you will be doing and cross them off as you go. That is what I always do.

Hal Higdon Half Marathon.

Hal Higdon Full Marathon

Hal Higdon's Half Marathon training plan is what I followed for my first marathon. When I ran it, he didn't have any cross training. In this one, he does. I like this one because it is very simple, very doable. I know it has your long run on Sunday, and a lot of you don't run on Sunday (me too!) So just switch things around. If you'll notice, Monday is a stretch and strengthen day. Make that your new Sunday. Stretch out on Sunday and take the day off. Then start the running on Monday. So basically shift everything one day sooner.

In the Full Marathon training program he only has one day of cross training, If I were you, I would probably switch out one of the other short running days for another cross training day, but it is all up to you and what you want to do. Questions? If so, let me know.

Furman FIRST

This one is actually a FULL marathon training schedule. As you can see you start out with pretty high miles. But you will also notice that there are only 3 runs a week. Very simple to do. The thing I like about this is that each run is a very specific workout. Lots and lots of speed work and plenty of room for 2 days of cross training. I run Mon Wed Sat and then Bike & Weight Train Tues & Thurs. This works well for me to keep my joints happy and keep injury free, while still working on my cardio.

Okay there are million other training programs out there. Both of the Hal Higdon programs are even available as apps for your phone, so you can keep track of your workouts that way. These are the ones I have tried, so I know them. But there are others out there as well that might be a better fit for you. Look around, pick one, and stick to it. Don't get discouraged if you get sick one week or strain something at some point. Rest, get better, and then ease back into running. You will be marvelous.

Also know that there is TONS of information out there on running. I LOVE getting and reading the Runners World Magazine. They have great tips on everything, from stretching, to running, to nutrition and sample meals. It is awesome. Take advantage of that information.

One more thing...STRETCH. Make sure you stretch after each run. And after the really long runs...take a good ice bath. It'll work wonders.

I am going to post more information as I think of it, like nutrition, as that is HUGE in training. I am working on lots of great meals I use and tips and things I have learned over the years. But for now, here are the basic training schedules to get you started. Good Luck!

Since first posting this I have had a few people ask questions about training. I love getting people into running and so am happy to answer any questions. I am no pro, but will gladly share what I have learned. Please feel free to email me at emorrise@gmail.com  Happy Running!

8 comments:

K said...

This is a really good post. You put a lot of time into this stuff. Proud of you. Not going to do any of it. But I'm proud of you. I have never loved running. Maybe when I was a horse (age eight through eleven). But not now. I don't even like running on horseback. For short bits. But I prefer walking and looking at stuff. But the world is made of many things and all kinds, thank heaven. If I need someone to run some medicine through the forest to a sick child, I'll know who to call -

Guy said...

Hey Emily

It just so happens that I signed up for the UT Valley half this afternoon, just before Kristen mentioned you had this info up on your blog. I've gotten off my bike this winter and have run up and down the canyon trail a few times. So Lorri, Cammon, Ginna and I will all be hoofing it down the highway. Thanks for the inspiring story and the training specifics---I'll take a look

Guy R.

Amy Eds said...

Fun to read! You are seriously awesome and one of my idols! I LOVED training with you and will always cherish those runs and my first marathon! I am thinking about getting a bike so I can cross train better. The weather is great here and a bike would be pretty sweet. I have had running dreams as well--very inspiring, and so real. Maybe it was a vision! Love you and MISS running with you!!

Live_N_Learn said...

I was reading your blog post because I was searching how to train for a marathon. I have a question. Throughout your marathon, did you take any breaks? I've been practicing going a 4 minute jog/run then switch to walking for 1 minute and back to 4 minute run again Or should I should just go ahead and jog the whole marathon? I've been running mostly the summer but I didn't think I was ready for the marathon until early September and I signed up the one that was closet to me. [I thought I was running 12 mile just fine but finishing another 14 miles was tough]. So I'm cramming when it comes to finishing a marathon. My left knee bugs me a lot when I run so I am doing Cross Training to strengthen both my legs so I can run 6 miles this Tuesday without stopping. Yes, I learned my rookie mistake. Ha ha, but i'm still going to run a marathon anyway since I just paid $100 bucks in early September. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Em said...

Live_N_Learn:

I personally do not take very many walking breaks. When going for a looong run I might stop every hr and walk for a minute. However, during the race, I walk through ever water/aid station. That way I am not trying to drink a cup of water while running, but am giving my legs a little break. I make a rule for myself though that I have to be running again be the end of the aid station. But this is just what works for me. Everyone is different and runs different.
Have you ever heard of or tried the Jeff Galloway training plans? It sounds very similar to what you do. Run for a certain amount of minutes and then walk for a minute. I have been in marathons with him, and that is exactly what he does the entire marathon and many people love that method. He is very popular and a running genius. You should look up some of his training methods and try it. I think it would match your style very well. Good luck on your upcoming marathon, you will love it!

Anna Olivares said...

Oh my goodness...I am beyond thrilled to have found your blog! I have signed up for a marathon that will be next year 08 Dec 2013. I am a beginner couch to 5K individual. Thanks for posting your blog, I have already learned so much and would appreciate if i can keep in contact with you throughout my training. Until then and again.
Anna

Anna Olivares said...

Oh my goodness...I am beyond thrilled to have found your blog! I have signed up for a marathon that will be next year 08 Dec 2013. I am a beginner couch to 5K individual. Thanks for posting your blog, I have already learned so much and would appreciate if i can keep in contact with you throughout my training. Until then and again.
Anna

Em said...

@ Anna

I am so excited that you are getting into running. It has become one of my greatest joys in life. (besides my family of course). One thing I want you to remember, you can do this!! Do not give up! Not for anything. Even if you miss a goal or target, don't quit. keep on keepin on, That's what I always tell myself. If you ever have any questions regarding training or anything I would be happy to help you out. my email is emorrise@gmail.com
Happy Running!