Sunday, January 13, 2013

47 Miles, A Sunny Afternoon at the Park, & Date Night

Man, I can't even think what happened this week. My brain has literally ceased to function. That might have something to do with the fact that I ran a fast 10 miles on Friday afternoon, and then a decently paced 20 miles early Saturday morning and then went right into a busy Saturday, a very restless night and then another busy Sunday. Yeah, my brain just isn't working at the moment. But just typing seems to be stirring up some memories of this week so here we go....

I have started cheating with Family Home Evening, let me explain. Since I am in Young Women's now and get to enjoy hearing a great lesson over basic gospel doctrine each Sunday I have been taking notes and pretty much copying the lesson to use for FHE the following night. It is working beautifully. Then I don't have a brain cramp trying to figure out what to teach, it is already planned, and I feel like the kids are actually learning things they need to know. This week we talked about what the Godhead was and then all learned the First Article of Faith together. Tonight they all passed it off to me and will be getting na extra special treat from the store tomorrow. See how well this cheating works out for me? Beautifully.

I know most everyone who reads this blog is living in UT...I'm sorry for the next sentence. The weather here has been 100% absolutely perfect!! My kids get worn out running around outside all afternoon and come in all sweaty and ready to settle down. mmm. perfect. So on early out day we made a play date with friends to meet at the park. Several came and we had such a fun time. They each a few friends to play with. I got to visit with good friends I hadn't seen in a while (one jut had a baby, another about to have a baby) and it was a perfect afternoon at the park. Love those days,

As soon as we were done at the park though, we hurried home, grabbed a bite of dinner, and then James and I were off to the church. I had a meeting 2 hrs before YW/YM & scouts started so I just took James with me. He was good and did his homework, then a friend happened to be at the church as well so they played ball while we had our presidency meeting. It was good. The women I serve with are simply amazing and I am constantly learning from them. THey are the most loving women I have ever met, and I am reminded yet once again that the most important thing in live is to love.

We had our YW activity, which was a class activity. It was really fun. We made caramel popcorn, planned out and got ready for our YW/YM combined activity this coming week that we are in charge of and just had a good time getting to know each other while doing all of that. They are great girls, and I am glad I get to be with them.

Thursday I tried something new. Ben and I played a "game" of tennis together. Something we have never done before. I think the last time I played tennis was in PE in Jr High. So yeah, its been at least 15 years. It was pretty entertaining. Ben served the ball, I went to hit it and hit myself with the racket instead. I think he then realized just how bad I was. He served more carefully from then on. WE played for a good hr and had a really fun time. It was like a mini morning date. We made fools of ourselves I'm sure, but hey, it was worth it. We will be back there again this Thursday.

After our game of Tennis, Sophie had her friend, Eve, over for the day. Those two girls are so sweet together. They played nicely the entire day (from 10-5) And even shared their dinners, snacks, toys, dresses and everything else with each other the whole time. At one point I was downstairs cleaning up and I could hear them upstairs whispering and then laughing laughing laughing.I snuck up the stairs to see what they were up to. They had sophies make up (bright eyeshadow) and were putting it on each other and just giggling at every little thing. I loved it. I loved seeing them so happy and having so much fun.

Friday I promised the boys I would meet them for lunch at school again. I also promised I would bring them a special lunch. They were very lucky boys as I got them Happy Meals. We don't get those very often as they are pricey and unhealthy. But it made their day and we had a lot of fun together at the school. Sophie did her "make-up" before we left and everyone commented on how pretty she was. Harrison had a good day at school because they had read a book about Chicken Soup with Rice and in class they ate chicken soup and had crackers for their snack. He thought that was pretty great. James has been much happier at school this week and I am not sure if it iss because he feels pretty cool with a nook these days or what, but whatever the reason I am grateful. I like having my happy James back.

Saturday I did my run, which I will go into more detail in a minute, we cleaned up, got laundry done, Ben mowed lawns....all the usual Saturday stuff and then we ended the night with a date! We don't go out very much as it adds up quickly with a babysitter, food etc... But we had a fun time together. WE just went out to dinner. I was starving, Ben was starving. We ate our food in about 2 minutes. Even the waitress commented on how quickly the food disappeared. That's what you get when you run 50 miles in a week...a constantly starving person, and ben is just always hungry. :)

So yeah, I ran a bazillion miles this week and last week. I am not going to lie, it was a really rough week for training. Every single run was hard, and painful, and just slooooow. My legs seemed dead all week, I kept waiting for my body to just snap out of it and wake up already. But no, it didn't happen. I was 3 miles into my 10 miler on Friday when I came this close to just stopping. In my head I was thinking "This is rediculous! Why do I do this to myself? I don't even like this anymore! I HATE this! I hate hate hate running and never want to run again!!!!!!" Yeah, I was done. But as I kept running I kept thinking. And as I kept thinking I started thinking and realizing that I was just at mile 16.

See in a marathon mile 16 is always where I start to falter, not a lot, but that's when my body starts to break down. At that point you have run 16 miles, which is a pretty good distance....but you still have 10 miles to go!!! And that thought...is exhausting.  But, I always get through it. I always finish. I have never dropped out of race. And so, I am 2/3 done with my training. I have done a lot, still have a ways to go. But I will finish it, and I will finish it well. I finished up my 10 mile run. Prayed that my legs would last another 20 for the following morning and had a fabulous 20 miler with 3 of my friends. I felt great the entire way, and finished holding a solid pace of which I was very happy about. I am very glad though, that this week, is a recovery week. fewer miles, easier paces. Thank Heavens I only have 2 more 30 mile weekends to go.

And now it is Sunday. Ah. Neither of us could sleep very well last night, Ben was working quite a bit, and my body was sore...so not a good night for rest. Ben had to get up early for meetings, and was gone before I opened my eyes. I got to wake up to a little girl climbing into my bed and cuddling up with me. We talked about our dreams we had had, and then watched the sunrise outside my window. It was so sweet and yeah, I was 5 min late for church because of it. But I love those little quiet sweet moments with your kids. They are so rare.

And with that, I think I am done for this week. I need to post video of Sophie singing OH Christmas Tree at the top of her lungs out our front door, it was too cute. I was sad when Harrison so rudely told her how annoying her singing was. Mean older brothers. Yeah, he got the word from me on that one.

But for now, I am tired. I am not sore anymore so I think I will be able to get some good sleep tonight. I hope Ben does too. He has been working so much this week. Levi is presenting their product to the big dogs in San Francisco in the morning. I really hope it all goes well. But, they are an amazing group, so I think it will.

And now, Good night.

No comments: