Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Tomato Soup

Whenever I am cold I get an itch to make some delicious soup or stew and a good batch of rolls. mmmmmm. The past two mornings have been especially cold, and since I run before the sun is up, well, lets just say that my hands go completely numb, and it takes several hours for me to defrost. (Yeah, I don't know what I am going to do when it is actually winter out there...brrr). So, I have been wanting to make some homemade hot soup this week and today I finally did it. It seems that everyone has a plethora of tomatoes this time of year, my parents and myself being one of those people. So, I have been wanting to try and make tomato soup from the tomatoes. I found a recipe online and used the tomatoes from the garden. I was pretty scared to make it. I have never had homemade tomato soup, so i didn't know what to expect. Okay lets get to the bottom line here, It was delicious. Seriously, I want to go make more right now. We ate it all in a flash. There seriously wasn't a drop left. We used the rolls to scoop the bowls clean. I am already so excited to make some for lunch tomorrow. oh baby. I seriously want to make it for everyone so they can taste its deliciousness. But since many of oyu who read this live far away I will post the recipe here and you can try it at home.

Ingredients:
1 (29 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (10.5 oz) can condensed chicken broth, undiluted
2 Tablespoons Margarine
2 Tablespoons White Sugar
1 Tablespoon chopped onion
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream

Directions:
In a large stock pot mix tomatoes, chicken broth, butter, sugar, onion, and baking soda. simmer for 1 hour

In a double boiler heat cream until ho. You can also do this in a regular sauce pan over low heat, but watch it carefully so that the cream does not scorch. Once heated through, add to tomato soup and serve.

What I did:
I used fresh tomatoes, peeled them, and then blended about 2/3 of what I had and then chopped up the rest. So that it would be a little chunky but not too. I used 2 chicken bullion cubes in 2/3 cup water. I also chopped up half of a small onion instead of just the 1 Tablespoon. Also, I only had half and half, so I used that instead of the heavy whipping cream, it was still amazing. Oh yeah, I put a few bay leaves in there too. I don't know if that made much of a difference but oh well. Enjoy!!

1 comment:

John said...

well we tries it. But everyone in our family is allowed to chose one thing that they never have to eat. Your brother, John chose tomato soup, so he didn't even taste it. All the kids who could talk wouldn't eat it because it had chunks of tomatoes ruining. But Rachel and I enjoyed it. Plus, 3 of our 5 kids have strep throat. 1 kid is on an antibiotic for a sinus infection. So four of my five kids are on medicine for ten days.