Monday, November 19, 2007

He Makes Me Laugh.

I know I have heard probably 1000 times that laughter is the best medicine and it is just one of those sayings, but it really is true. As I have said before the past few months have been pretty tight financially, but we have been able to make it through and have been plenty comfortable as well. Well, I have known for quite a while that James needed to see a dentist and that I needed to see one as well. But I also knew that it was going to be REALLY expensive. So, finally, after tuition has been paid, car fixed and other bills paid, I took James to the Dentist. It was far worse than I had thought. 11 cavities, yeah you read that right, eleven. and 7 of those are quite possibly going to have to have crowns. Lets just say that that bill is going to suck up our entire savings and then some, and that wasn't even counting what my teeth needed as well. I cried all the way home from the dentist wondering how we were ever going to pay for all that work and with Christmas around the corner....well presents were just out of the question. I came home, put the kids down for naps, cleaned up, and then looked over our finances trying to find some way to squeeze those bills in there. Oh yeah, and on top of this, in the past week we have been notified that our mortgage was going up due to taxes, our insurance did not cover our sons last DR appointment, and we owed another DR some unexpected $$ as well. So I was looking at our account, okay if we don't have to buy food then we can make it...ha ha! So then I went to the pantry and looked to see how many meals I could make out of what we had. Lets just say we will be eating a lot of rice. So I was pretty darn discouraged when Ben got home and told him everything and what does he do? He quotes some part of a Simpson's episode that made me laugh so hard. He just made me laugh and it made me feel so much better. It is one of the great things that I love about Ben. He can always always make me laugh. Some nights we laugh until 2 or 3 in the morning. I will laugh so hard my stomach hurts. When I was in labor with James and wanted to die, Ben made me laugh. On our very first date he made me laugh harder than I had ever laughed when he jumped up from the picnic table tossing his drink behind him and yelling "my mouth's bleedin bert! My mouth's bleedin!Merry christmas Bedford falls" Later on that night he randomly took his shoe off and started talking to it like a phone. He was so serious about it too. Then there was the time that we were at Zuka Juice and he just took one great big bite out of his Styrofoam cup and chewed away. Once again, I laughed. I think that was the first thing that made me like him, how much he made me laugh. Anytime things have seemed somewhat bleak Ben has always cheered me up and it always makes the biggest difference. When he got home today he could have been depressed like I was but instead he made a bunch of jokes and then things seemed okay. Later on tonight we went over to my parents so Ben could get set up to do some contract work for my dad's Company. He has gone over several times, but they ahven't been able to figure some something out and so Ben has not been able to do any extra work and I had pretty much given up on that extra cash. However, tonight Ben was able to get things set up very quickly and now has plenty of work to get done. More than enough to pay for the dental expenses, Christmas presents and maybe even some food too! :) We really will be able to pay for everything, christmas included, and be just fine. I know that there was an upper hand in helping Ben get things set up so he could earn the extra money we needed, and I am grateful that once again Heavenly Father has provided a way for us.

2 comments:

Becca said...

First of all, your husband is quite funny. "or I could gouge my eyes out with a pitchfork!" haha. That was a classic ben moment, I'd say. James makes me laugh a lot as well, and it really is the best medicine. Like when I am feeling sick in the morning or cannot move at all becuase I am hurting, etc. somehow he manages to be really sweet and comforting making sure I'm as comfortable as I can be and then he'll do something crazy just to make me laugh. Husbands are good like that. I am grateful as well.

I am also grateful for God helping out with financial things. Like how in the world we pay for anything is beyond me. All I know is we have to pay our tithing and fast offerings if we're going to make it. But somehow it always works out, and with little discomfort to us...so it's all great. Life is just good. I love that you can count on HF helping you out if you've done your part. I am grateful for that.

Emily said...

You are such a good blogger, Em. You made me laugh and tear up in that entry. I know the Lord will look after you because you're so busy looking after all the rest of us! That is so funny about Ben. That was hilarious about "my mouth's bleeding Bert." I never heard that one. James has always made me laugh too. That's funny about him biting the styrofoam cup and you falling in love. I had a "I-think-I-could-marry-this-guy" moment when James had cracked some funny joke and then said, "Wokka wokka" like Fozzy Bear.