Saturday, November 24, 2007

The Turkey Run









I signed James and I up for a Turkey run on Thanksgiving day. I signed up for a 4 mile race and James a 1/4 mile race. I have been so excited for the races, mostly to see James run, but also to see how I would do. I have taken James running with me a couple times. He was pretty excited for it and really liked it when I got him "special running water"...Propel. Well the day of the race came and it was 18 degress outside and windy. I was so cold! It was so hard to get my muscles going and everytime I took a step I felt like I was going to get blown away. So yeah....Well my total time was okay, but not great. I think I could have done better if I had pushed myself a little more. My time was 36 min, so an average of 9 min miles. I got 305th place overall, that doesn't sound so impressive, but I got 17th place in my age group and that sounds more impressive right? Anyways, so I finished my race and it was almost another 30 minutes or so until James' race started. He was so cold he was just crying, as you can see in the pictures. I almost just took him home so he could defrost, but I wondered if he would want to race once he saw the other kids line up to race. So I gave him my jacket and we traded hats to try to get him a little warmer. He did get somewhat excited about running the race when the other kids lined up, but once we started running he got about 20 feet and just started crying "I am too cold!" I felt bad for him and we went home. I told him we could run another race together next summer when it is warmer. HE felt really bad later that he didn't get to run, but I filled up our huge tub with hot water and let him go "swimming" in it. That seemed to fix everything. Hopefully next summer he will enjoy races a little more. Oh and I figured out how to put videos on this thing, so here is a shot of me running near the end of the race. I have video of James' race but it is on another camera so when I get that one figured out we will put it on here too. Happy Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

John said...

That is a really cute story about James and his race. He is a really cute little guy

Becca said...

WAHOO! You look great! I'm not even kidding. You're not one of those runners who looks like they are going to topple over any second. (I know I have looked like that before though myself, so i cant make too much fun of runner like that) but seriously, I am so proud of you! I think this whole running deal is awesome I can't wait until we get to run a marathon together! It won't be for a long time, but that would be cool, eh?