Monday, January 14, 2008

Grace Clary


Today was an extremely eventful day. Becca, who was 8 days overdue, had her baby girl this afternoon. It was extra special for me though because I was able to be there during part of the labor, and the entire birth. I was the lucky one who got to cut the umbilical cord, I thought that was pretty darn cool. Man, I can't believe my little sister just gave birth to her own little baby.
Becca and I have always been extremely close. I remember when my mom as pregnant with her, and the doctors told my mom she was having a boy. So when my parents told us we were getting a little brother, I fought with them. I told them it was my little sister, and that it was a girl. I remember them telling me I was going to be really disappointed, but I knew they were wrong. And they were. I remember holding her the day they brought her home from the hospital. She opened her eyes and looked at me, I can still picture her as a newborn baby. Becca and I always said that I must have known that she was girl because we had made a pact in the pre-existence to come to the same fam. That we needed each other. I definitely have needed her. She was always the person I vented everything to, about boys, friends, school, whatever else was angering me. Next to Ben, she probably knows me better than anyone else. She has always been there for me. But she is my little sister, and so I have been somewhat protective of her. And I have to admit, that her getting married was crazy enough for me, and now having a baby was even more crazy to handle. But I have to say this, that I have never been more proud of anyone as I was of her today. I was so proud of her for getting that baby here. Because let me tell you what, I saw that baby coming out and she was HUGE, 9 lbs 10 oz to be exact, and the baby started to get stuck when it was time for the shoulders to come out and the Doctor was pretty much pulling that baby out and he told becca just to keep pushing pushing pushing, and she did! I thought she was going to pass out she pushed so darn stinkin hard, but she was one tough woman and got that baby out. I will never forget seeing that baby come out of her, about 1000 emotions shot through me in about 10 seconds, it went something like this "Yeah, she is having a baby, oh I see her little head, hooray! oh and there is a little tuft of hair, how cute. whoa, there is still so much head to come out and she has been pushing for so long. Keep it up becca, come on, keep pushing! don't give up, keep pushing! Oh man, here comes the head, it is big,oh push becca push! oh no...the shoulders are stuck, hurry doctor hurry, help her out, get that baby out, push becca push, please let the baby be okay, oh no, oh no, oh no, please get the baby out, push becca!! don't give up, the baby is right here!!!" The baby came, I started breathing again, and she started breathing too. At that moment I was just so proud of becca I think I could have burst right there. That is when the DR handed me snippers and I cut the cord, that was pretty cool. Now we will have something to talk about when she is older. ha ha. Whenever I look at baby Grace I think of the first time I held becca, because they have the exact same eyes. And yes she is very cute and very very chunky. I love chunky babies.

3 comments:

K said...

Isn't this an incredible experience? I coached a person in our ward once, and I got to sit in on Ginna's labor. It was pretty incredible.

Congratulations! And isn't it weird to be old enough to see a baby born to somebody you knew as a baby?

Mary said...

Thanks so much for sharing that. The very first thing I thought when I saw a photo of Grace was that she has Rebecca's eyes.
I know you and mom saved Grace by encouraging Becca on. Now we know that Grace actually broke her clavicle during birth goes to show how dang hard everything really was for our poor little Bec!
Keep taking good care of them all for me!
Mary

Becca said...

hey thanks for your sweet post, em! I was really happy to have you and mom there along with James. The three of you really helped me out. Anyway, I made a post on my blog with pictures and stuff, so you can check it out. Thanks for your help yesterday! see you soon, I'm sure!

we get to bring her home in the morning!!! yay!