Thursday, May 1, 2008

My Kids

So can I just say that I love my kids. Sometimes I am overwhelmed by the love I feel for them. Yeah I know, Harrison is usually getting into something he shouldn't, or running away from me as I try to change his diaper, or coloring the walls. And James is often wanting to play some game on the computer or watch some show on TV and is not very happy when I tell him no. But for the most part, they are my sweet little boys. They make me laugh so much. I love to just watch them play and do funny things. James has been saying the funniest things lately. Like he was talking about a picture of a beehive, but he kept calling it a "bee five" that made me laugh. And then tonight we decided to make smores for our family fun night and James could not remember what they were called. He called them "whiskers", even in his prayer when he was saying thank you for the whiskers. I about busted my gut right then. But I held it in.  I have also noticed a significant change in James, when he does something wrong and I talk to him about it, he really thinks about it, and then later he will come and talk to me about it and apologize. I have noticed that he really does want to be good. It makes me happy. The other day I was gone most of the day and the kids were home with Ben. Which meant that James spent all his time on the Disney website do this activity or that.  When I got home for lunch I told James that he needed to come eat his lunch and get off the computer. So he came over to the table right as he started a book on the website. It reads it to him and then he is supposed to click on the arrow for it to turn the page. So this is how it went, he would shovel 1/4 of an entire sandwich in his mouth, run over to the computer click the arrow and then run back to the table, grab a handful of goldfish crackers and then run back to the computer..click the arrow. I had a good mind to tell him to stay at the table, but it was so darn cute and he ate his lunch in record time, so it was okay. After lunch we read some actual books.  Speaking of books, the other night when it was time for bed James got all the books out and made a book trail from his room to my room. "so if you get lost you can just follow the trail" he had learned the hansel and gretel story that day.  It was darling.
Then there is Harrison, who can always put a smile on your face even when he is in big trouble and has done nothing but through tantrums. Seriously, he has a talent for it. Like he colored the wall, so I put him in the "no no chair" We call it that because the first time I set him there he sat and pointed at the newly colored wall and just said "mama, no no no no no no no no" It made me laugh my head off.  And once again he colored a wall and I put him in the chair and he just sat there making the funniest faces at James and I, we just laughed at him. Yeah I wonder WHY he hasn't learned not to color walls yet. ;) Today when I was putting him in his carseat he puckered up for a kiss, so kissed him, then he held out his arms, and gave me the sweetest hug. Melt my heart I tell you what. And then tonight, I went in to check on the kiddos, Harrison was still awake just sitting in his crib, playing with dee dee. he saw me, said "ma!" so then I rocked him and he cuddled right up to me. I love his chubby little cheeks. I love to put my face right next to his. I love to sit and play with his hair. He is still my little angel baby. Tantrums and all.
Today we did a fun thing the kids liked, we used cookies cutters to cut out tortillas and then baked them to make chips! We only had halloween and heart shaped cutters though so the combination was a little odd, but they didn't care, they just thought it was fun to eat a witch shaped chip. I love doing fun things with the kids. I want to make fun memories for them. that is why I always make such a big deal out of holidays and birthdays. When I was a kid, one of my favorite things was when in elementary school when my teacher would decorate the entire classroom for each season and holiday. It just made things so much more special. I want to make things special for my kids. I want to be a fun mom. Sometimes James comes to me and wants me to do this or that and it often seems like a really dumb thing, and I am usually busy with something else and so my first thought is to say no, but then I think to myself. "Em, he is only going to come to you for so long, if you say no, he will stop, and then it will be too late and he won't want you to come" And that thought breaks my heart. Today it was kites. James made a kite using one of my bracelets, masking tape, clothesline pins, and paper. I was doing my hair and he came running in, he was so excited. and he told me he made a kite and he needed me to help him finish it. It took me a minute but we went in there and played with the kites and then hung them on the wall. My little boys are going to grow up big one day, and I just hope that when they do that I will have done my part well. That I will have raised good boys who know that they are loved and that can make it in this world, and be righteous men. But isn't that what every parent wants? 

8 comments:

Judy said...

They will know because you are such a good Mom.

Jeremy said...

Em - that is a really neat entry. You're doing a great job!

Hild Family said...

You ARE a fun mom! You're always doing fun things that I have never thought of.

Amy Eds said...

You are an amazing mom! It just inspires me to do better!

Becca said...

you suck.

just kidding. i just know that whenever i compliment you you say "whatever." so I figured this was a good way around that. but you really are such a cute mom. a great example for me.

Karyn said...

I love the posts about your kids! Isn't being a mom the best?!?

Hild Family said...

Hi again! I tagged you on my blog. Check it out, and if you want to do it, great! Otherwise- don't worry about it. Hope you're doing well.

WinnFamily said...

It seems like I haven't seen you in forever! What have you been up to? I saw on the relief society calender that your birthday is this week (friday?). Any fun plans?