Monday, October 8, 2007

Singing

Ever since James was born I have sung "I am a Child of God" to him. I have sung it every night to him before he goes to sleep, and then we often sing it during the day as well. He never sang it along with me or showed any sign that he even recognized the song until he was 2. It was a little while after Harrison was born. We were over at mom and dad's and had gathered around to sing. All the little kids were sitting in their chairs and had hymn books they were looking. I remember seeing James sit there with the Hymn book and thinking he was so cute all dressed in his Sunday clothes. We finally sang "I am a Child of God" and to my great surprise James sang the entire song. He knew every word and he just belted it out. I was bursting with pride and was of course sobbing at the same time. I will never forget that moment. Since then we have sung that song at least 1,000 times. And still every night when I ask him what song he wants us to sing, that is the one e picks (he often picks a second song as well, but his first choice is always I am a Child of God). James is a funny little singer. He loves to sing. He will switch tunes in the middle of any song, but he tries really hard to get it all right. When he has to go to the bathroom he always shuts the door, and, thinking we can't hear him, sings at the top of his lungs for about 15-20 minutes. It always makes me laugh. As soon as he opens the bathroom door he is as quiet as a mouse and acts as if nothing had happened. We really need to record it sometime. James also often sings himself to sleep. I will hear him in his room singing a song to himself and slowly the song gets slower and quieter, and then he is asleep. He did that the other night in the car singing "Snape, snape, severus snape" until you could barely understand what he was saying anymore. I then asked him if he was tired, he insisted that he was not, continued singing, and in a few moments was sleeping soundly. I love my little boys.

3 comments:

Mary said...

Will you teach me the Snape song? I bet my kids would love to sing it!
Matthew has surprised me recently with singing as well. But the song he chooses is "I like to look for rainbows". I think it is because I moved the embroidery that mom made for Elizabeth with a phrase from that song into a more prominent place. He asked me to sing it, and ever since, he loves that song! He tries to sing it by himself, but usually needs me to come rescue him somewhere in the middle. I put the children's songbook CD in the suburban, and when it is just him and me, I play that song on repeat forever! When the other kids join us, and it moves on to the next song, he gets so upset and hollers, "Rainbow one! Rainbow one!"It is so precious! I think the church songs do something to preserve a child's innocence, in addition to all the other good things church songs do.

rozanny said...

I love that he sings in the bathroom! I used to do that when I was little, and it used to crack my mom up... but I think that it's awesome that he sings the Severus Snape song. That's hillarious!

Mary said...

Joseph, yes, my EIGHT year old still sings, especially in the bathroom like it's his own sound-proof vacuum--too cute!!! I don't tease him about it, because I don't want it to stop!