Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Bath Time

We had lasagna for dinner tonight, which Harrison completely enjoyed...completely. Meaning, his hair, ears, face, hands, and the rest of his body was covered. So it was straight to the tub with him. And I can never give one boy a bath without giving the other a bath as well. We went into the bathroom, I set Harrison down, turned on the water, turned around to see James getting Harrison undressed. He did a really good job actually and even took His diaper off for him, then he proudly stated that he had helped Harrison get ready for the bath. It made me laugh. Then Harrison did his usual pee trick right as he is getting into the tub and just after the diaper as come off, but before long the two boys were splashing and making a lovely mess of the bathroom. Throughout this summer I was trying to teach James how to hold his breath under water, he got really good at it and when he jumped in the pool, would sink all the way to the bottom and then slowly pop back up and laugh his head off. However, he will not stick his face under the water in the tub. And usually gets upset when water gets in his eyes or whatever. but tonight I think he was feeling very adventuresome. Because he plugged his nose and put his entire head under the water, face first and then blew as hard as he could, making huge bubbles. Harrison started laughing so hard. He laughs a lot, but I don't think I have ever heard him laugh this hard. James kept blowing bubbles over and over and Harrison about passed out from laughing so hard. I really wished that Ben had been home so he could have gotten the camera and recorded it becuase it was the cutest thing.
Oh another cute thing today. James was upset about something, I don't remember what, but anyways, so he was just whining and being grumpy, and then Harrison came up to him and jsut hugged him, and patted his back and hugged him again. I seriously almost busted tears it was so sweet. Oh and speaking of little tantrums, James and I were making little chocolates to take around to his friends and Harrison has already eaten plenty and I told ihm he couldn't have any more. So he went over to one of the kitchen cupboards, completely emptied the thing to show me his anger, and then immediately put everything back in its place. That made me laugh. Ah, my boys. Never a dull moment, that is for sure. Wow, this is a random blog.

3 comments:

K said...

Oh, man - this is so great. You told these things well, and I had a great laugh over them. So we see the sweetness that is native in children - and that so quickly and often is smothered. That's why, as you wrote in the last post, we need to be on top of the moments, the turning points. If you can be there and just say, "Wow. You are really a helping kind of a person." Or "Wow, Harrison, you were ANGRY, weren't you? (because he doesn't come to earth knowing what angry means) But what a great way to express it! I'm so proud of you for putting everything back!!"

Saying those things out loud makes a child see himself clearly for a moment, and starts the building of the patterns you want him to see as himself.

One bit of English teacher advice: use more paragraphs when you write - that makes it easier for the reader to stick with the story. We have found that putting spaces between paragraphs encourages people to read more and longer.

How I love you!

Becca said...

Oh Emily how you are such an amazing writer! I wouldn't be surprised if you wrote a book one day and so many will enjoy the pleasant conversation-type stories that I get to each time I speak with you. And so much advice could you give to others about how to be a truly amazing mother. It's wonderful to see that the innocence , purity, and virtue of children is encouraged in your home, even celebrated! So inspiring is it to see you let your children bloom in their own individual personalities! You really do have it all figured out! You make such a difference in people's lives with your amazing attitude and love towards your children. I just can't imagine a better mother. And you know, as I said before, your writing skills are impeccable! I am stunned with how your words pull one to the page encouraging them to read forever without hesitation! Your expressive description is a talent few come with and do well naturally. Most need help in developing such things, but with you it seems to be innate! What a wonderful person you are with such talents! If only I could be as talented as you!

Becca said...

basically what I am trying to say is dude, you are a good mom and you have super cute and fun kids! And paragraphs are totally overrated.