Saturday, December 1, 2007

The First Snow





























I remember as a kid waking up in the morning and looking out the window to see the freshly fallen snow. I loved the way the trees looked, every branch lined with beautiful white snow. And how everything seemed to be just standing still. It was always so peaceful and magical to me. I also of course loved getting bundled up and breaking the winter silence with screams from being hit by a snowball or sliding down the hill in my parents backyard. I loved coming inside after hours of freezing cold enjoyment and sitting in front of the fire to get warm. I love the smell of fires. It always brings so many memories to mind. I loved the winter as a kid, and so when I got up to go running this morning and saw the falling snow. I knew that my kids would be excited to wake up this morning and see the snow. As soon as I returned from my run (which was 10.5 miles in the falling snow....yeah I have to brag a little about that, it was rough) I got the kids bundled up and we went outside to play in the snow. Harrison was mostly amused by his new boots. The first steps he took with them on made me laugh so hard, it was very frankenstein-ish. But he really enjoyed running around in the snow as well. My neighbor had a sled and let me borrow it. So I loaded the boys on that and we ran around for a minute or two. James made some new friends and played outside with them for a couple hours. They had a good little snow fight and made several snowmen. Oh, when I was taking these pictures I told James to look at me and smile and I looked through the camera at James just as he was throwing a big snowball at me. That made me laugh. After all the fun was over and the kids got cold we came inside for hot baths, soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. What more could you ask for?

4 comments:

Emily said...

Man, you're making us miss the snow!! That sounds like so much fun. James says Harrison looks just like you in that first picture. That's very funny about his boots--I can just picture that. And way to go with the 10.5 mi run in the snow. You're amazing, woman!

Judy said...

Hey Em, Mom and Gramma here. Love your blogs

John said...

How fun and sweet. And Wow Em, you sure do it all...

Becca said...

holy cow! Such cute kids and cute pictures and reading your post was just fun! The first snow...I don't think I did anything to celebrate it. Ooops. But we finally did get our christmas tree up, that was good.

I would also like to congratulate you on your hard winter run. I am sure it is only the first of many, but I know that each and every one is always a new and amazing accomplishment. You are doing awesome on your running! I can't wait until spring when I can run too.