Friday, December 7, 2007

The Christmas Stocking



Growing up, my mom made each of us a felt stocking. Each was different, and mine had a teddy with a pink bow on it. I really liked that stocking, but I always took for granted how much work my mom had put into that thing. My kids have used my old stocking and some junky old stocking from the dollar store for the past few years and so this year I decided to make their stockings. James wanted a train on his stocking. I thought, "eh, that won't be too hard". So I bought the felt and all the trimmings for the stocking and came home ready to make a train stocking. First off, I had to make the lovely pattern because I had none, but stockings are a pretty basic shape and it was easy. From then on things went slow. Trying to design a cute colorful train that would fit, trying to figure out how to stick the felt on..I had some glue issues, but finally got it figured out. Cutting out all the tiny little felt pieces for the presents, snowflakes and wheels, and then gluing on without making a terrible mess of it. Lets just say that my life has been devoted to that stocking past few days and last night...very late last night I finished. It was a lot of work, but James sure does love the thing. He said "mom! is that my train? It is SOO cute! I love the sparkles." There are little sequin things on the wheels. Anyways, I do have to admit it is a pretty cute stocking, but I think Harrison will get is next year and use my old teddy bear stocking this year. Oh and sorry the picture is sideways...I don't know why that happened, I didn't take the picture sideways...oh well.

2 comments:

Becca said...

SO ADORABLE! It does look like a lot of work! So did you you use a glue gun? Becuase that is messy. But seriously, Em way to go! That thing is adorable. I want to make Grace a stocking too. What should I put on hers?

John said...

That is so professional looking, Emily. John has had me make stockings for each of our kids. He wants me to have the picture match the kids personality. I don't think that I have been successful yet. I think that my kids have even suggested trading. Oh well. Yours looks way better then any of mine. Good Job, Em.