Saturday, April 19, 2008

Salt Lake Half Marathon








Wow. So today I ran the Salt Lake City Half Marathon. I felt really good about my time. My total time was 1:57:12 which put me in 1025th place overall out of 3819 participants. And I was in 403rd place in the womens division out of 2341 other women. Check that out. SO I felt pretty darn good about all that. The race was great. We got to the start line with over an hour to spare, but I spent that entire hour waiting in line for the bathrooms and barely made it out in time to get in line for the race to start. It was really cool to see all the elite runners take off at the very front. It took us several minutes to actually cross the start line and run, but once we did we didn't stop. Well, only for a minute at one of the rest stops along the way. But I kept around a 9 min mile the whole way. My actual average was 8:57 min/mile. Actually, from miles 6-10 I was keeping an 8 min mile, but then I made the huge mistake of stopping at a rest stop for a water, and I took me 2 miles to get back to doing a 9 min mile, and then I booked the last mile at a 7:20 min/mile. Running the end chute was really fun. I was just running as fast as I could and so many people were cheering me on and I loved it! Ben and Jay were on a bridge and waved at me, that was fun to see a familiar face in the crowd. Anyways, it was so fun to run with so many people. I loved seeing the sea of people ahead of me, it was so inspiring. It was fun to see people of all ages, sizes, fitness levels, running. There was one lady running that was wearing a shirt with a picture of a baby boy and on her shirt it said "Running for you Buddy James" then underneath it said "James Apr 2004-2006" I seriously had tears at that, because my james was born in apr of 2004. It made me so sad for her I wanted to just give her a hug and cry with her. But obviously, I kept running as did she. I followed a "santa man" for quite a while. He had on red shorts and shirt and a white beard, he looked like santa. Oh yeah, and there was this old guy pluggin along who wore a shirt that said "83 and still running" and when I ran past him he said "don't you feel bad passin me up like that?" I laughed. I love seeing so many people run. This is why I run, to do races like this, and meet and see all the different people running. Oh, so I have a video clip I was going to post, but I can't get it to work and Ben is sick and in Bed, so I don't want to bother the guy with my technical retardedness. Anyways, it was a great run and I am just that much more excited for the Marathon next month. YAY!
Oh, today after the race we picked up the boys and then came home for naps, and thankfully the boys slept for quite a while, and when they woke up I was tempted to turn on a show for them so I could get the house cleaned, laundry done, all that jazz. But I figured they needed some mom time, and the chores could definitely wait until after their bedtime. So we went to the store, got lunchables. James is always asking to get those and I never get them, so we got them this time. Then we got some drinks and went for a picnic... in our car! It was so windy, so we went to the temple, put the seats down in the back, put out a blanket and ate out dinners. The boys definitely had the greatest time ever. It was fun talking to them and playing around back there. Then we came home, had baths, stories, all that jazz, they helped me clean up their rooms and then they went right to bed and right to sleep. Now, it is late, but the house is nice and clean I just finished a nice bowl of oatmeal, and my feet have finished being iced, so it is off to bed for me. ahh. The end of a good day.

9 comments:

Becca said...

WAHOOOOOOO! I am so proud of you it's not even funny. And I am so incredibly jealous of you and that's not even funny either! ;o) Way to go Em. That's so impressive. You're a skanky runner....but if I had a good body...as in small...I would probably just wear a tank and booty shorts too because it's so HOT when you run so much. However...sometimes it's worth the extra heat when you are not very pretty without a lot of layers. :o) but you look like a real runner. Even when I ran my 1/2 marathon, I never looked like a real runner. And I don't really think you're a skank. I'm just teasin'. Way to go!

Linsey said...

Wow Em! Congrats! That is so cool! I couldn't do that in a million years. Mostly right now because I'm pregnant and don't have the energy to want to go to work, but mostly just because I hate to run! :) You look amazing, too! Congrats again!

Mary said...

Hey Emily...I almost called you last night at around 11:00 pm, after I read "The Night Before" post...I love that you have accomplished this dream! I want to accomplish my dream of swimming like a dolphin...so smooth and light. I have been reading your running posts and I am just so proud of you. Yes, I was always the last to come in on a run in elementary school...I nearly drowned in the PHS PE swim-unit...I had to "pull-over" and throw-up in the side gutter, while all my classmates swam past me. I hope to be able to follow my dream as you have yours! I seriously am crying! I love you tons!

Mary said...

Oh yeah, I was going to call you last night to find out how the race went, but I thought it would be too late to call. Half an hour later, there was your post about the race and I was so glad to hear how it went!!! Plus, I don't think you're retarded technologically...I haven't been able to figure out how to post a movie on a blog so I have to just include the link for people to find the movie online. Love you!

Mary said...

Plus, that 6minute33second movie that Ben took almost made me puke...need to steady that hand MR! But it was cool to see you come into the finishline before the 2 hour mark passed--goooooood job Em!

Amy Eds said...

Cool Em! That's awesome that you did so well! That's fun about your picnic too! Well, if I get good at running again someday, I will join you! Congrats!

Amy Eds said...

Hey, I forgot to watch the video--so I just did, that looks so cool--wow you look great! I am jealous--but I know what I have to do, so that's silly to be jealous! Anyway, I liked the video, but I do have to say that you can tell that Ben is videoing because it mostly focuses on your boobs (at least at the end).

Becca said...

i cried.

Judy said...

You are amzing, Em! I can't believe how devoted you are to this. It is really hard work and you are just pushing through it and doing great.