Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving

Once again, we ran the Thanksgiving Day Races, aka the "Earn Your Turkey" Run. I ran the 4 miler, I was slow, 41 min, but it was fun anyway.  James and Harrison both ran the kids races though and that was definitely the highlight of the day. I ran with both of them. Harrison's race was just a short little race for kids 0-2 yrs old. He didn't really feel like running but as long as I was holding his hand he plugged along. At one point I let go of him and had him chase me... he didn't like that. He finally just stopped and put out his hand for me to hold and then he started running again. I was proud of him for finishing though, he was so cute all bundled up with his number on his coat.

Then it was time for James' race. He was so excited for it. I warned him that they were going to shoot a gun to start the race so he wouldn't be scared when it went off. And he thought that was really cool. It was so great, he was so ready and focused to run that race. As soon as it start he just took off. He was running really fast. I was surprised that I actually had to run to keep up with him.  His race was 1/4 mile long, and about halfway through he started to get a little tired and reached out for my hand and so we ran together until just before the finish and then he let go and just took off through the finish line and got second place!!! I was so so so proud of him! Ben and Harrison came running over and we all just hugged him and were so excited for him. He was really excited too and wanted to know if he had won a turkey. First place gets a turkey and second place gets a pie, so we told him he would get a pie. His response was "Pie is better than turkey anyway" That made me laugh.  

We waited around for about 2 hours for the awards,  they finally called out James' name but they said "James Morris" instead of Mo-reese and James said "mom they said my name wrong" I told him he had better get used to that. But he was happy to go get his Red Ribbon and his gift certificate for a pie. Then it was time to go home get ready and go to Gma's which we did and ate and ate and ate and ate. Sheesh. But it was a fun day. Now we have to go pick up that pie....like we don't have enough already! ;)

5 comments:

Bartlett Family said...

That is so cool that you involved your boys in the races. Happy Thanksgiving! Eat Up!!!

John said...

That is so awesome that James came in 2nd place. I bet you are so proud of him. Heck, I would be. I remember last year he cried and quit the race. Congratulations James. It sounds like you have grown up a lot. Can't wait to see you guys in a month.

Becca said...

I love that james won 2nd place! he is such a cute kid! And way to go for you guys and running those races! I am glad I didn't sign up. I was up all night getting my house ready for thanksgiving dinner and then Grace had a hard night and was up for most of it as well. I was exhausted in the morning, and got to sleeeeeeeep in.

happy thanksgiving

Unknown said...

Awesome!

For the record, pie is better than turkey.

Linsey said...

That's way cool! I have to agree with James, pie is soooo much better than turkey!